Alice Austen House – Tourist Attractions in New York City
Alice Austen House
Alice Austen House
The Alice Austen House, also known as Clear Comfort or as Elizabeth Alice Austen House, is located at 2 Hylan Boulevard in the Rosebank section of Staten Island, New York City, New York. It was home of Alice Austen, a photographer, for most of her lifetime, and is now a museum.
It was originally built between 1690 and 1750 as a one room Dutch Colonial House on the shore of New York harbor, near the Narrows. It was remodeled and expanded several times in the 1800s, most notably after John Austen, Alice’s grandfather, purchased, renamed, and remodelled it in 1844.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, became a New York City Landmark in 1971 and a National Historic Landmark in 1993.
It was purchased by New York City in 1975 and opened to the public. In 2002, it became a Historic Artist Home and Studio
2 Hylan Boulevard
From Manhattan by Staten Island Ferry
Subway to South Ferry (1), Whitehall Street (N/R), or Bowling Green Station (4/5)
or bus or taxi to:
Staten Island Ferry (25 minute ride). At the ferry terminal in Staten Island #S51 Bus to Hylan Boulevard (15 minute ride). Walk one block east to water and house (Note: for schedule of ferry boats taking cars call (212) 806-6940).
From Manhattan via Brooklyn by car
From the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (toll) or the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge take the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway to the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge to Staten Island (right lane on bridge). Take the first exit (after toll), “Bay Street”. Continue to the end of street (School Road) then turn left onto Bay Street. Continue to Hylan Boulevard then turn right and follow street to water and house.
From New Jersey toll bridges
From the Outerbridge Crossing, Goethals or Bayonne Bridge follow signs to Route 278 East. Exit at “Clove Rd./Richmond Rd./Hylan Blvd.” Continue on service road (Narrows Road South). Just before the fifth traffic light turn left onto Hylan Boulevard and continue to water and house.
The house is open all year (except January, February and major holidays).
Thursday through Sunday 12:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
A suggested donation of $2.00 per person helps support the museum.
Phone: (718) 816-4506
Fax: (718) 815-3959