Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum New York City
Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum – Tourist Attractions in New York City
Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum
Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum,
The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum is owned by the City of New York, operated by the International Garden Club, Inc. and is a member of the Historic House Trust. A New York City Landmark, the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum is one of the most beautifully located country seats in the City. The restoration of this Mansion is an outstanding example of effective preservation in New York City.
The story of the Bartow-Pell estate begins in 1654 when Thomas Pell, an English doctor from Connecticut, bought the land from the Siwanoy Indians as part of a nearly 50,000-acre tract. The estate was reduced to 220 acres by the end of the Revolutionary War. It was bought in 1836 by Robert Bartow who built the present Grecian style stone mansion with Greek Revival interiors. He moved into the house with his wife and children in 1842. The Bartow-Pell Mansion opened as a museum in 1946.
#6 Lexington IRT to Pelham Bay stop. #45 Westchester Bee-Line bus to gates (Bus does not run on Sunday).
By Car Exit Hutchinson River Parkway or New England Thruway at City Island/Orchard Beach. Follow exit to traffic circle. Exit off traffic circle to Shore Road North. Follow road 1/2 mile to gates on right. Parking is available.
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 12 noon – 4 p.m.
April through October
open daily from 8:30 a.m. to dusk, free
Mansion is closed on National Holidays including: Christmas, New Year’s Day, Easter, July 4th and Thanksgiving.
$5 for adults
$3 for seniors & students
free for children under six