Castle Clinton National Monument

Castle Clinton National Monument – Tourist Attractions in New York City

Castle Clinton National Monument in NYC, New York, USA

Home » Manhattan » Castle Clinton National Monument » info

Castle Clinton National Monument

India Cricket Live Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton is a circular sandstone fort, now a national monument in Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan, New York City.
Although Castle Garden was designated a national monument on August 12, 1946, the law did not take effect until July 18, 1950, when the legislature and the governor of New York (Thomas Dewey) formally ceded ownership of the property to the Federal Government. A major rehabilitation took place in the 1970s. Today it is administered by the National Park Service and is a departure point for visitors to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. It appears much as it did in its earliest days, contains a museum, and is again called Castle Clinton.
The Little Red Lighthouse

History

Construction began in 1808 and was completed in 1811. The fort, known as West Battery , was designed by architects John McComb Jr. and Jonathan Williams. It was built on a small artificial island just off shore.
West Battery was intended to complement the three-tiered Castle Williams on Governors Island, which was East Battery, to defend New York City from British forces in the tensions that marked the run-up to the War of 1812, but never saw action in that or any war. Subsequent landfill expanded Battery Park, and incorporated the fort into the mainland of Manhattan Island.
As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, Castle Clinton National Monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.

Address

Castle Clinton National Monument
Battery Park
New York, NY 10004

CitySights NY Go Card USA - Top USA Attractions for 1 Low Price!
Find Great Deals at BedandBreakfast.com!

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

5 × 5 =

";