Shopping in New York City – Century 21 Department Store
Century 21 Department Store New York – Shopping in New York City.
Century 21 Department Store
Century 21 is a chain of department stores. All of its merchandise is sold less than the usual department store price. There are stores located in Long Island, Brooklyn, Morristown, Paramus, and Secaucus, but the largest location is in Lower Manhattan, across the street from the World Trade Center site. Century 21 is famous for having deeply discounted designer clothing, accessories, shoes, and housewares.
The flagship store became an emotional flashpoint during and after the 911 Terrorist attacks. The store was evacuated after the first plane hit the World Trade Center, and the interior was heavily damaged from the implosion of the twin towers. Initially it was not certain that the store would be rebuilt, but the owners opted to remain at the same site and the store was renovated and reopened in the summer of 2002. Thousands of people waited hours on the morning of the reopening so they could have a sales receipt from that day. To many the stores reopening was considered pivotal to the rebirth of the trade center site.
* Manhattan, NY: Flagship Store, opposite World Trade Center Site.
* Brooklyn, NY, Bay Ridge, 86th Street.
* Westbury Long Island, formerly Ohrbach’s, later Steinbach.
* Morristown, NJ, On The Green, formerly Bamberger’s, later Macy’s.
* Paramus, NJ, Bergen Town Center, former Stern’s Flagship, later Macy’s.
* Queens (Rego Park), NY, scheduled to open late 2008.
22 Cortlandt St
New York NY 10007+3107
4, 5 to Fulton St
J, M, Z to Fulton St
A, C to Broadway/Nassau Sts
E to World Trade Center
4, 5 to Wall St — 0.2