Big Apple Greeters
Big Apple Greeters
Visiting a new city can be very exciting, but also slightly intimidating, especially if you don’t speak the local language. Travel sites can give you a lot of information, but it will be nothing compared to the expertise of a native who knows the ins and outs of the city.
This is where Big Apple Greeters comes in. For over 20 years, this organization run by volunteers has provided visitors to New York City an opportunity to spend time with a native New Yorker who will take you around on a tour of NYC, all for FREE!
What does a Big Apple Greeter do?
A Big Apple greeter is not a tour guide. They are just regular people who live in NY who are willing to spend time with visitors and help them get a better understanding of their city. A greeter becomes a new friend and shows you around the way a friend would. You will talk about what it is like to live in New York City, learn how to use public transportation, find out about the greeter’s favorite restaurants, shops and locations. In turn, the greeter gets to know you.
A greeter is not a professional, licensed tour guide, and may not have historic or tourist information about a landmark or location. A greeter’s knowledge of New York City is personal knowledge gained from living and working in the city.
How to Request a Big Apple Greeter
If you would like to have a Big Apple Greeter show you around NYC during your visit, please fill out a Visit Request Form. Remember to do this at least four weeks in advance of your arrival. During summer and the holiday season, spaces fill up quickly.
More About the Big Apple Greeters
– A Greeter will show around a group of 2 to 6 people. If your group is larger, you will need to split up your group and submit multiple Visit Request forms.
– A tour usually lasts from 2 to 4 hours.
– Greeters are matched to visitors based on language, neighborhoods requested by the visitor and interests. They are not matched by gender or age.
– Requesting a greeter is completely FREE and the greeters do not accept any tips either.
– If you would like to contribute to the Big Apple Greeter Program, you can do so at http://bigapplegreeter.org/donate/